Glenn Leege is another of our long-serving volunteers having been with us for 12 years. He retired from Hamilton in September 2003 and the very next month he was giving tours at the original museum site on Jefferson Street.
Glenn’s history with Hamilton’s starts in May, 1959 when he responded to an ad placed by Hamilton’s in the Sturgeon Bay Press – Glenn’s hometown – for wood plant workers. He was hired on the spot. At that time, Hamilton’s was building the last wood plant structure on the north side of the main campus on Jefferson Street. That newest addition is where Glenn spent the majority of his 44-year Hamilton career working in Cabinet Assembly Dept #33. At this writing, that “newest” building is the final structure remaining on the original factory complex site.
Glenn lives in Two Rivers with Judy, his wife of 55 years. They have 3 daughters and 2 grandchildren. In his spare time he likes to travel and has visited many different states across the country.
Glenn can be found at the museum on Saturday afternoons giving tours. He is extremely knowledgeable about all facets of the museum from the wood shop all the way to the pressroom on the other side of the building. What does he enjoy most about volunteering? The visitors. He says everyone that comes to see the museum is really nice and never has he experienced a crabby visitor that wasn’t happy to be there.
So, if you’re ever at the museum on Saturday afternoons and Glenn’s in house, stop and say hey and thank him for his many years spreading the love about the Hamilton Wood Type & Printing Museum. We certainly appreciate all his time and efforts!